We believe in a world where all cars are shared. Carsharing empowers people to get going in a smarter, easier way, while also having a positive impact on the environment and making cities more liveable. It’s this vision that propels us forward and inspires us to think even bigger.
Since April 2019, Drivy is now part of Getaround. Together, we’re the world's leading carsharing platform with a community of more than 5 million users sharing over 11,000 connected cars across 7 countries.
Our team is collaborative, positive, curious, and engaged. We think fast, work smart, laugh often, and are looking for like-minded people to join us in our mission to disrupt car ownership and make cities better.
- We're looking for someone to work alongside the product lead, data scientists, and developers within our fast growing Marketplace Dynamics squad. Its goal is to maximize long-term revenues of the marketplace, and the role of a backend developer is to turn requirements for topics such as pricing algorithms and search ranking into scalable and robust technical solutions.
- We work closely togetherin squads on the full lifecycle of a feature. That helps us scale and ensures everyone has an impact across team boundaries, so solid communication and imagination are a daily part of the development process.
- More generally, every backend developer at Getaround is involved in an ongoing effort to maintain and improve all the tools and processes that help us build great features.
You will work on:
- Adding features to our rental pricing pipeline, for example allowing pricing to be configured with more granularity, or improving how pricing is adapted for rentals of longer duration.
- Looking for innovative real-time solutions to replace the components of our pricing architecture which must now scale with our increasingly advanced requirements and growing throughput. Measuring and improving performance are always important topics for us.
- Defining the next steps of our search results ranking algorithm together with the squad, then implementing experimental ideas and monitoring outcomes.
- Optimizing the backend performance of our search queries to increase conversion.
- Developing the parts of the API that our mobile apps use for user-facing features related to pricing.
- Building the roadmap with the rest of the squad, by contributing to workshops and helping assess the technical challenges ahead.A range of backend "chapter" topics to "provide a robust and scalable software architecture, ensure code quality and development efficiency across the team".
Example topics are: (i) Upgrading our web framework (Rails) or language (Ruby), as well as other libraries; (ii) Laying the foundations for new features such as an external API or search service; (iii) Defining and sharing best practises / guidelines across the whole of the tech team
Who you'll be working with:
- You'll be working directly with Clement and Howard, the engineers assigned to the Marketplace Dynamics squad, Adem our head of pricing, data scientists Olivier and Vincent, as well as Charles, product owner of the squad.
- In reality, you will also be in contact with all the other squads when needed, as well as the whole of the tech team and in particular the dozen of developers making up our backend "chapter".
- You will report to Howard, our lead backend developer.
What you will bring to the team:
- 5+ years of experience
- A track record of shipping high-quality code to production which works today and for years to come.
- Development experience that you can draw upon to find solutions to efficiently solve the challenges we're facing today, but also be flexible enough to give us the ability to experiment with new ideas. We love to iterate and carefully measure outcomes, removing guesswork from the process.
- A strong knowledge of at least one backend language.
- A good understanding of system design, data structures, and architecture.
- Good communication and teamwork skills.
- Ability to communicate in English.
Nice to have:
- Hands-on experience with high-throughput or big data applications where performance implications are always a central concern.
- An understanding of the pitfalls surrounding sensitive topics such as pricing and payments, and how to adopt a defensive approach which still supports innovation.
- Experience with a broad range of technologies, including how to assess costs and benefits, to determine which ones are "right for the job".
Our Tech Stack:
- Ruby on Rails 6 with Ruby 2.7
- Lots of Rspec and Capybara
- Continuous integration with Docker and CircleCI to push to production multiple times a day using our in-house deployment tools
- MySQL with multiple replicas and a dozen Redis instances to store things
- A strong internal design system
- Monitoring dashboards built with Telegraf + Influxdb + Grafana
What we offer: